So my bmw will not start, I replaced the 12v battery and I believed the hybrid system is draining it. Is there any way to check the status of the high voltage battery and charging it if it’s low? It only has 50000 miles, I was left parked without being used for about a month and now it won’t start. I’ve spent thousands of $$$$$$ and they haven’t been able to pin point the malfunction, I was told that I could delete the hybrid system and install a starter. Is that even possible being that a lot of the cars components need power from the high voltage battery for the car to function properly? Don’t know what direction to take at this point it has become a money pit I regret buying this car smh!!!
I understand your frustration with the ongoing issues with your BMW hybrid system. It is indeed possible to convert a hybrid vehicle like your BMW to run solely on gasoline, but it can be a complex and costly process. In your case, since your BMW shares some similarities with the Mercedes-Benz S400 hybrid, it’s worth noting that both of these vehicles have intricate hybrid systems that integrate with various components in the car.
To convert your BMW to gasoline-only operation, you would need to:
Remove the high-voltage battery and associated components, which can be quite expensive and may require specialized skills and tools.
Install a conventional 12-volt starter and battery to replace the hybrid system’s functions.
Potentially reconfigure or modify some of the vehicle’s systems and components that rely on the high-voltage battery for power.
This conversion process can be time-consuming and expensive, as you mentioned, with estimated costs ranging from $8,000 to $10,000 or even more, depending on the specifics of your vehicle and the labor involved. Additionally, it may require a deep understanding of automotive systems, so it’s essential to work with a qualified and experienced mechanic or shop if you decide to pursue this option.
Before taking such a drastic step, it’s advisable to consult with a BMW specialist or hybrid system expert who can diagnose the issues with your current hybrid system and explore potential solutions. They may be able to pinpoint the problem and offer a more cost-effective repair or solution to get your BMW running again.
Ultimately, the decision on whether to convert your BMW to gasoline-only operation or continue troubleshooting the hybrid system should be made carefully, taking into account your budget and long-term plans for the vehicle.